Monday, October 18, 2010

A Healthier Me

I could write a book about my struggle with weight and body image. Oy. I don't think I was so aware of my body until after I had Hannah and saw just how much pregnancy had changed everything.  Uh, no...I'm not one of those elastic people who just snaps right back. I reckon the beauty of motherhood makes it all worthwhile. Blah blah ;) But seriously, post-pregnancy weight sure likes to stick around!

I think I'm pretty good a watching my food intake.  I have a calorie counter on my Blackberry which is great so I can see everything right in front of me.  Exercise is at least 3 times a week, but it's hard to make it to the gym depending on Ryan's schedule and how tired I am. I definitely need to get more days in.

I really want to focus more on being healthy rather than the number on the scale.  I know if I put good stuff into my body and take care of myself, the rest will all fall into place. On another blog I saw something about a 33-day challenge (why 33...not sure) of eating healthy, exercise, no snacking late into the night, and getting to bed at a decent hour.  Those last two things I always have a problem with.  After the kids are in bed Ryan and I enjoy munching on goodies like nachos and ice cream (not every night but we've had moments when we've gotten carried away).  The past few months I'm also never in bed before 11, and I know that has to change.  The fact my kids like to wake up at dark-thirty every morning isn't enough motivation for me to get my butt to bed any earlier.  I would rather get up early before the kids and get myself ready for the day (coffee, quiet time, breakfast) than stay up all hours twiddling my thumbs and watching TV Land.

So I'm going to take on this challenge and I'm glad to say that the first day did not go so badly. :)

Eating: 2045 calories...not terrible.  I like to try to keep it under 2000 but there was no mindless snacking.  With Ryan being gone I have a feeling I won't have a lot of time for that. ;)

Exercise: made it to the gym! Biked a little over 10 miles and did some weight training

Food after 8 PM? just barely made it. ;) After the gym I got home and got the kids squared away with bed time and such and then made myself some turkey chili. Very delectable! I also enjoyed a scoop of ice cream afterward (seriously, just a little bit and the only junk food all day!)

Bed by 10 PM? I'm definitely heading in that direction.  Tossed and turned last night so a good night's sleep sounds mighty fine.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails