Friday, September 10, 2010

What are you reading?

I'd like to start talking about books I've recently read on occasion.  What's so hilarious is since I started homeschooling I feel like I have time to read.  When Hannah was in preschool, I would start reading a book but then it would be time to pick her up and then the rest of the day would jam packed with other things.  But I digress....

The Outsider by Ann Gabhart

This is a Christian historical novel about a young women in 1812 who is a member of the Shakers and falls in love with a doctor who has come to treat a burn victim in their group.  The Shakers oppose marriage and basically believed anyone in the outside world is of the devil.  I knew nothing about Shakers prior to reading this, so I was a bit intrigued.  While the violent details of the War of 1812 were a bit shocking, I enjoyed the story.  I did find the end a bit unsatisfying--something that definitely calls for a sequel.

The Overachievers: The Secret Lives of Driven Kids by Alexandra Robbins

The author shadowed several high school student during their junior and senior years--those types of students who are involved in every possible activity that would look good on a college application while stressing themselves silly over getting nothing less than a 4.0 GPA.  These kids are suffering physically, mentally, and spiritually--shakes, depression, losing hair, suicidal tendencies, taking diet pills to stay awake--and for what? The author also talks about different cultures' takes on education and the No Child Left Behind Act.  I am only a fourth through this book and I'm already recommending it to anyone whose kids are high school and younger.

The Duggars: 20 and Counting! by Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar

This is obviously for those of us who are big Duggar fans (like me!).  A lot of the info throughout the book has already been mentioned on their show, but there's a lot of new stuff--great suggestions about getting your kids to sit still and how to keep better organized in your household.  There are also a few family photos that I have never seen prior on TV.  I also enjoyed reading about the many business ventures they went through in the first years of their marriage. Wow! I am truly impressed by their diligence and their vow to never carry debt, not matter how small.  Their testimonies how God has blessed them in situations where anyone would assume there was no hope has really encouraged me. 

Wishin' and Hopin': A Christmas Story by Wally Lamb

You might remember two of Wally Lamb's novels (She's Come Undone and This Much I Know is True) as being chosen for Oprah's book club.  His books are amazing, but the subject matter can be a bit heavy.  I'm usually a bit emotionally distressed for a day or so after finishing one of his books. :p This book, I am happy to say, is very light reading and will provide quite a few hearty chuckles.  A good coming of age story about a 10-year old boy and the in's and out's of pre-pubescent life such as a dirty-mouthed best friend, the intriguing foreign exchange student, and being related to certain Mouseketeer.  I read this in only a few days after the kids went to bed.  Two thumbs up! :)

The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling by Rachel Gathercole

I read this a couple months ago, and I consider this the go-to book for anyone who is considering homeschooling.  If homeschool has crossed your mind, then you need to buy this book.  Now.  Reading this book made me feel so silly to ever question the lack of socialization and, as a matter of fact, it made me wish I was homeschooled! Something that is touched on throughout the book is being homeschooled, your child actually has time to be a child rather than stuck in a building for 8 hours a day.  Kids have time to pursue their interests and actually prepare for the real world.  I could go on and on about this book, but I'll let you read it and decide. :)

Now tell me what you're reading! I'm always up for recommendations! :D

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails