Tuesday, November 2, 2010

NaNoWriMo and Me

This year marks my fifth time participating in National Novel Writing Month, also known as NaNoWriMo (pronounciations vary).  It's a fantastic creative challenge for those of us who have always wanted to write a novel, but always said that they didn't have time or talent.  The goal for the month of November is to write 50,000 words in 30 days (quantity is what counts, not quality--editing is for other months besides November ;-p).  That's about 175 pages in Microsoft Word, give or take.  Anyone who makes the goal by the end of the month is considered a winner.  Thanks to this, I can honestly say I've written four novels. :-D They might be terrible, but I'm sure there's a story in there somewhere.  Obviously, the challenge lies in doing this along with all the other craziness that already consumes your life! I did this for the first time in 2006 when Hannah was 19 months old.  I'm quite curious about how  I would do without any kids.  That would be amazing, but I think it's even more amazing I managed to squeeze this in with two kids! In 2008 I did this after we moved to Georgia from Kansas and were still living in Army lodging.  Autumn was only 6 weeks old. Ryan is also a great help and is very supportive in my literary endeavors. That same year we were driving back to GA from TN after Thanksgiving and Ryan told me he would unload the car and the kids while I went in the house and finished up my wordcount since there were just mere minutes left before NaNoWriMo would be over.

Now I am continuing the novel I started in 2006, the only year I didn't "win".  I've spent the last couple days reading what I had written so I can get on track.  It's nice to see it with fresh eyes, and I'm really enjoying what I've written.  I'm so excited to continue with this novel and see where it goes. It's a young adult mystery (a'la R.L. Stine minus the murdering), and I don't even know whodunnit yet.  Check back with me...this thing will take on a mind of its own!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails