Sunday, May 9, 2010

I thought the hard stuff would come later

What I mean about the hard stuff is parenting and that can mean pretty much EVERYTHING! One thing I am referring to right now is violence in video games. I know, I know...I should stop letting Hannah play Grand Theft Auto. Ha ha. The game I'm talking about is a Kung Fu Panda game we got Hannah for her birthday to play on her V-Motion. Each of these cartridges has about 7 differents game that teach different things like shapes, colors, etc. There is a game that is supposed to teach geometry by breaking open boxes to find matching shapes (see pic). Some of the boxes contain these spiked metal balls that the characters throw at each other, making the other one dizzy and see stars. I was very surprised that they included such a thing in a video game aimed at ages 4-6. As far as I can tell the other games seem perfectly fine, and Hannah really enjoys it (in case you didn't know, she has a thing for pandas). The best thing I can tell her is that she can't play this particular game, because they don't act nice to each other. She seems understanding to this, but I can't believe I am having to deal with this at this age. Threw me for a bit of a loop. Yes, kids (including mine) are bombarded with cartoon violence and most of the time we don't give a whole lot of thought to it. Once in a while we'll say something like, "Squidward wasn't be very nice to Spongebob. You should never hit other people." We recently dealt with a situation where a little boy at Hannah's school was hitting her, and we have told her hitting back was not the way to solve it. I just didn't want her to think that hitting (or in this case, throwing mideval weapons at other's heads) was funny or even a little bit okay.

Ugh, the second she turns 5 and I have to start teaching her about being a decent person in society. I'm hoping the next big thing that comes along will be more simple, like...how does a baby get inside mommy's tummy? I think I can deal with that.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails