Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Family Decision


Another school year is coming to a close, and even though summertime bring a whole plethora of different activites I can't help but already think about the 2010/2011 school year. Thanks to a lot of prayer and personal conviction, Ryan and I have decided to homeschool our children. This is something that started to cross my mind while we were living in GA, but I didn't do very much research and eventually forgot about it. Just a couple months ago, I felt the Lord start to lay it on my heart again, and I was a bit more fervent in praying for the Lord to just lead us where He wants us to go. I prayed for him to bring someone we could talk to, who has experience with homeschooling. Just a couple weeks ago we ended up to a young woman in our Sunday school class who homeschools her five children, and she was a tremendous help in what we need to do to get started. What a blessing! I spent a few hours yesterday online going to different websites, trying to figure out what curriculum would be best for us. I think I am coming to close to making a decision as far as what to order! There is such a freedom in having control of my kids' educations. I am very excited, and when we talked to Hannah about me being her teacher she seemed to be excited about it as well. One thing that is often asked about homeschooling is the social aspect, and that was a concern for us as well. Hannah is a social butterfly and never hestitates to introduce herself to a prospective new friend. Since homeschool can take only a few short hours a day as opposed to the normal 6-8 hours in a public school, we will have plenty of time for extracurricular activites such as dance, church, sports, etc. Not to mention various homeschool groups in the area. Just thinking about all the possibilities just thrills me to pieces!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails